Make A Difference Initiative (MAD), a non-governmental organisation, has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to dismiss Nigeria’s current service chiefs, following the killing of scores of soldiers by the Islamic sect, Boko Haram.
Executive Director of MAD, Lemmy Ughegbe, who described the service chiefs as “shameless”, pointed out that generals with pride and honour would ordinarily resign, if they lose such number of men.
“This is a heartbreaking picture that speaks more than a thousand words. Our citizens are being wasted in this senseless insurgency in the North-East.
“While some persons are feeding fat on the war, soldiers in the line of fire, who are ill-equipped, ill-motivated and unpaid are being wasted in their scores.
“Our initiative is saddened by the loss of these brave ones, the heroes of our nationhood and calls on President (Muhammadu) Buhari to rejig this security achitecture, and relief these shameless service chiefs of their appointments.
“Generals with pride and honour would ordinarily resign, if they (lose) the number of men Nigeria lost a few days ago,” Ughegbe said in a statement made available to The Whistler on Saturday.
It would be recalled that Reuters news agency quoted an army officer as saying earlier this week that the Nigerian Army recorded “a huge loss” in the attack.
“The insurgents took us unawares. We lost about 100 soldiers. It is a huge loss,” Routers said of the Islamist militant group’s attack last Sunday on a base in Metele in Borno State.
The Whistler reports that while it took the Army days to acknowledge the attack, it is, however, yet to come out with a figure of the death toll, which it has disputed on Friday evening.
After climbing to power in 2015 on the promise to defeat Boko Haram militants, Buhari is seeking for a second term in office.
As Nigeria prepares for general elections next February, The Whistler reports that there are growing concerns over security.