President Muhammadu Buhari, has blamed former Libyan Leader, Muammar Gaddafi, who was killed seven years ago, for the ongoing killings across Nigeria.
Buhari revealed that Gaddafi, a former Dictator, swept away by an uprising in 2011, is to blame for the alarming dimension of attacks across Nigeria.
Recall, that Gaddafi was killed in October 2011, following weeks of violent uprising across Libya, ending his 42-year reign as a Dictator.
Prior to his death, which was aided by the Western incursion into the country, Gaddafi reportedly armed his supporters to ward off the rebellion against him.
Libya subsequently plunged into a civil war that still lingers, nearly seven years later.
In London, with the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, on Wednesday, Buhari said the arms Gaddafi provided to his supporters had filtered into Nigeria, where they are now being used to fuel killings across the North-Central.
“The problem is even older than us”, Buhari said.
He added: “It has always been there, but now made worse by the influx of armed gunmen from the Sahel region, into different parts of the West African sub-region.
“These gunmen were trained and armed by Muammar Gaddafi of Libya. When he was killed, the gunmen escaped with their arms. We encountered some of them fighting with boko haram.
“Herdsmen that we used to know carried only sticks and maybe a cutlass to clear the way, but these ones now carry sophisticated weapons.”
He once again dismissed claims that the attacks may have tribal or religious undertone, because they largely occurred at Christian-dominated and minority tribes areas, saying that, those propagating the assertion are doing so for political gains.
“The problem is not religious, but sociological and economic. But we are working on solutions”, Buhari said.
The President has faced criticism from for his response in combating the crisis headlong.
Former Nigerian Leaders, Olusegun Obasanjo and Ibrahim Babangida, had earlier criticised Buhari for not demonstrating the capacity to contain the killings, asking him not to run again in 2019.
They had also been joined by Theophilus Danjuma, a former Chief of Army Staff, who admonished citizens to defend themselves, rather than wait for the Security Agencies.